Thursday, December 8, 2011

Words to not live by...


There are words I do not want this beautiful girl to hear come out of my mouth. There is one is particular. A little F-word that many women speak over themselves each day. Fat. I have heard ridiculous stories of tiny girls worried about getting or actually being fat. It makes me so terribly sad. The last thing I want my daughter to think when she looks in the mirror is that she is not good enough. She has porcelain skin. Sweet freckles. Beautiful blue eyes. Brown curly hair. And a gorgeous heart. I want her to know that the her gentleness and kind words are more beautiful than any make-up she can apply. That her love for others is so much more important than what brands of clothes she wears. And most of all, to celebrate her able body instead of judging its shape. I know daughters look to their mothers as an example, and I long to be a healthy example for her. I am nowhere near perfect. I have carried three babies in my body so far. I have scars literally to prove it. My shape has changed so many times, it seems almost monthly! At this stage in my life, I wear "mom" clothes nearly every day, don make-up at the most twice a week, and cannot promise myself a shower each morning. I am a soft place to fall...especially in the very area she grew. But, that's okay. I want her (and I!) to know that it's okay. I think my value as a woman and as a person is not held by my outward appearance, but rather my character. The world sends many unhealthy messages to girls in particular. I want her to realize there is so much more than this. Yes, be healthy, but balance is healthy. So, at almost 5 years old, I do what I can now. I tell her she is beautiful, but I highlight how great it is to have a good attitude. I brush and style her hair, but tell her before school that "good work is hard work". She loves to wear colorful feminine clothes, but is expected to be respectful to everyone. I have the wonderful ability and privilege to help mold and encourage her morale on the inside, and lessen the emphasis of her appearance. So, I am proud to say she has never heard that dirty little F-word come out of my mouth. And I hope she never will!


1 comment:

  1. I make sure that if someone is different that Hannah knows that's ok. That if someone is 'fat' that's ok too. All that mattersis that people are nice to her and that she is nice to them. I make sure that even though she knows she's pretty, that she knows that she's kind and smart and a good girl.

    ReplyDelete