Friday, November 4, 2011

Great Expectations




I was thinking today about how much pressure there is put on our expectations. What I have expected out of my experiences, versus the true reality of my situations. I usually begin every day with certain expectations of my day, subconciously of course.


Expectations:


Jeffrey will behave today.


I will do yoga for exactly one hour, and it will be awesome.


I will clean my house in its entirety, tackle the piles of laundry, and keep my children squeaky clean, all while looking my very best.


I will lose my temper only once today.


Reality:


Jeffrey had sensed my behavior urgency, and it fed into his extra 2 year old energy.


I had time for yoga, but found it better use for it taking a quick nap, or eating lunch.


I cleaned parts of my house, washed some of my laundry, and kept my children clean of obvious spots, all while wearing the same outfit I slept in the night before.


I kept mostly calm until after finding Jeffrey had emptied the contents of his diaper out into his room....


See what I mean?? It is these type of misguided expectations that can make us feel like we are not living up to set standards. My reality is much more messy. Literally! Nobody really cares if my house is messy, my children are sticky, or if I look like I just rolled out of bed. Trust me, I have apologized too many times for these very things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment